Thursday, May 5, 2011

This week so far - May 5th

It's been a crazy week and I haven't been able to get to my weekly update until now.
This week I've been working with tube rivets. It takes a lot of practice and some luck to get the back side of the rivet right. In the first samples I punched the centre hole and then domed the metal. I found that by doing it this way I had to be careful not to distort the middle holes.  I know my for my first tube riveting project I probably should have started with flat pieces but I enjoy a challenge!
Unfortunately these metal blanks already came with on hole in them so I'm trying to think up ways to hide the prepunched hole.
I've been searching online to find the best way to flare out the rivet on the back side of the piece. In the third picture you can see the results  of my flaring technique.
I think I still need a bit more practice. The fourth picture is a couple of flat pieces of metal joined together with rivets. I like how the finished piece looks so I'm going to keep at it. I'm also debating on whether or not I should get one of those tools that does it for you.


Tube rivet in the centre with ugly prepunched hole in small circle.
I think the rivet in the square one looks nicer than the one in the circle pendant.
I love the contrast in this piece. I'm debating if it needs something in the centre or not.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely! I think it's beautiful just the way it is. But I've always been a sucker for negative space:)

    ReplyDelete